(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale

From: Mike Sheetal <msheetal_at_cyber-media.co.jp>
Date: 12/06/05
Chris,

I think it basically depends on your clients on whether xhtml is a
legitimate solution. If they want to make something accessible to most
users (most of my clients do) then you can't even consider being xhtml
only.

Me and my team are currently working busily on bringing WURFL up to
scratch for Japanese handsets (old and new) so that the server side
solution can be handled properly with WURFL. I hope to have a usable
version of the patch running by the end of the year for several of our
projects, and sooner for a basic user agent patch (maybe even this
week). (yes, we will make it public)

running WURFL or similar system with some stats recording about xhtml
compatibility per hit to your website will give you the signal about
when you can stop worrying about older handsets.

my personal feeling is we have a couple of years of worrying about
legacy phones yet. I prefer supplying the best site possible for the
new phones and dumbed wml and chtml versions for older ones.... of
course this is only possible if you have budget and time available for
that.

best,
mike