(keitai-l) Re: Summarizing the "smart phone" discussion

From: <michael_at_bxb.com.au>
Date: 12/10/05
Quoting Gerhard Fasol <fasol@eurotechnology.com>:

> Now I will take a position:
>
> Following this "smart phone" discussion for several years in
> newspaper etc, I postulate:
>
> The term "smart phone" is a pretty useless marketing term.

It's pretty useless these days - every phone these days could be considered a
"smartphone". I believe the term was in vogue several years ago (outside Japan)
to help consumers understand the difference between a 'normal' voice-only mobile
phone, and one that also had some 'smart' lifestyle-enhancement or special
function, e.g. a decent, editable address book or diary, messaging,
wired/wireless connectivity option (to PC etc), perhaps a novel interface
(keyboard or touch UI), or downloadable apps. I don't think OSes etc factor in -
not many end-users care about OSes - just functions.

> Technical experts have difficult to find a meaningful
> definition of this term.

Since it's not really a term used these days, it's a pretty meaningless debate I
think. I don't think I've ever heard it used in Japan in particular.

Just my opinion.

Regards

Michael.

This mail sent through WinShop Webmail (http://www.winshop.com.au/)