(keitai-l) Re: A quick survey. Was Re: Re: Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/13/05
On 13 Dec 2005, at 17:18, Kyle Barrow wrote:

> A. Detect the mobile and redirect to mobile content.
> B. Detect the mobile, redirect and deliver content based on its
> capabilities using WURL et al.

  I still do B, and fail to A for phones of unknown capabilities. But
after having looked at tabemo.com, I shall have a think... Things
like phone numbers are an issue. I suspect I will do some minor
capability massaging of output even with otherwise generic xhtml-like
markup.

As regards images, it isn't all that much work to have a master image
and do dynamic "cut and cache" to whatever size that particular
handset wants. It isn't necessary to go overboard, a a dozen or so
variations are usually enough, so the "cutting" puts little strain on
the server.

(The real "hit" is that one has an extra trip through the file system
each time an image is referenced, to see if it is in the cache. Any
thoughts from anyone on the best Linux file system for a webserver
serving heavily cached content? I know there is a limit to the number
of files one can have in a directory - I have hit it (I *THINK*) with
a heavily cached amazon shop site. Obviously, lots of subdirectories
are a must... But that would not be an issue with even a thousand or
so images. If anyone responds to this, please do so in a new thread...)

As regards the /i, /v, /e thing - my big concern is - what does
google make of the "same' content at 3 URI's... I THINK it now just
"chooses one" and downgrades the others in the listings...

Nick