(keitai-l) Re: xhtml basic and mime types.

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 12/19/05
On Dec 19, 2005, at 13:36, Nick May wrote:

> Just out of interest, are people with mobile sites serving XHTML
> Basic using the correct mime type? Would all Japanese keitais barf on
> it?

Some of Docomo's 2G mobiles [sic]throw up[sic] an invalid content-
type message when fed application/xhtml+xml. I don't have the list
handy but the SO505i was one of them.

> The "best" way is to sniff-and-serve based
> on the "q" value of the $HTTP_ACCEPT string, setting mime-types and
> doctypes dynamically, and cleaning up <x /> type tags for html 4.01.
> (I note this just for those few list members who may not know.)

Docomo's 3G offerings are fussy about the content-type and won't
render XHTML (the CSS bits) unless fed application/xhtml+xml but they
also don't send any HTTP_ACCEPT making the above automatic content-
type detection a bit tricky.

Kyle

--

mobile web gear | pukupi.com | 34°40'n 135°30'e