(keitai-l) Re: xhtml basic and mime types.

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/19/05
On 19 Dec 2005, at 14:45, Kyle Barrow wrote:

> Docomo's 3G offerings are fussy about the content-type and won't
> render XHTML (the CSS bits) unless fed application/xhtml+xml

Good for them - I suppose... This is how it "should" be. The only
real POINT to xhtml is that it is strict, and parsed by a real xml
parser (which will barf at the slightest error and not display the
page.)

of course xhtml parsed as xml and the same xhtml parsed as gnarly
html - which is what most of it is parsed as in reality -  are two
quite different beasts (supporting different javascript, for example
- hence the horridly kludgy workaround for adsense on xhtml1.1 pages.)

> but they
> also don't send any HTTP_ACCEPT making the above automatic content-
> type detection a bit tricky.

It could be argued that it is not their problem - but the problem of
all those handsets that expect to be served xhtml with an out-of-
standard mime type (i.e. text/html). They - Docomo 3G -  are on-
standard, after all.

Do other handset makers fill  http_accept with useful stuff?

Nick