(keitai-l) Re: imode JP news in English 2006

From: Arnold P. Siboro <asiboro_at_maltech.jp>
Date: 12/27/05
Gerhard, you seem to be saying free sites cannot deliver high quality
contents. Free and high quality are not necessarily conflicting
qualities. In Japan, Gyao.jp, which delivers high quality broadband
contents paid by commercials is extremely popular nowadays. As teigaku
(flat-fee) services becoming more common and cheaper, I think getting
similar service running for keitai paid by commercials are going to be
quite possible.
The problem is the "English" part. This is Japan anyway, the number of
English-speaking users are too small for free-site business models.

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:36:55 +0900
Gerhard Fasol <fasol@eurotechnology.com> wrote:

> What would you suggest as a business model
> for a "free" i-mode side delivering high-quality
> reliable and relevant and un-biased news to
> your keitai?
> Would you tolerate an avalanche of "free" deai-spam
> to pay for the people making the news?
> Or people visiting you and phoning you on your
> keitai to sell removals and investment advice?
>
> Do you have any other ideas to pay for this service?
>
> Gerhard
>
> William G. Perrin III wrote:
> > Are there any more decent English language news sites covering Japan
> > which don't require payment? JapanToday took their service offline
> > while they make the transition to the name crisscross:
> > http://www.japantoday.com/i/
> > While looking for alternatives I was amazed at the lack of such
> > sites. It seems there were a lot more imode access-able English sites
> > with decent content a few years back. Any suggested sites?

Arnold P. Siboro (asiboro@maltech.jp)

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
                                          --  Albert Einstein