(keitai-l) Re: Supported Character Sets for I-mode

From: Paul Lester <paul_at_thetamusic.com>
Date: 01/12/06
    I used to run into the problem that Unicode didn't support
a character that one of the other encodings did with Japanese...
but recently working with Taiwanese I am finding that Big5 is missing
some characters supported in Unicode!  Which is a headache for
people in Taiwan.

    There will always be problems.... this character missing there...
this encoding mapping this character to that character..... in the
end its just exchanging one set of problems with one encoding for
another set of problems with another encoding.

    Biggest problem with Unicode is the Halfwidth katakana characters
and the way they are stored... and how to sort kana.... but you get
that with other encodings too.  Also sometimes Unicode or SJIS  but usually both
does not include a Kanji I want and uses an alternate.... but I can always look that
up in a kanji jiten and be happified. You can't please everyone...
at least not yet.

    When I read the article I removed all his emotional statements and
just took his facts straight and found it an informative and useful
article... you just need to prune his emotions out of it.

    Basically I treat Unicode as ONE way to encode it... now the popular way,
and just deal with it.... I have no attachments to any encoding in particular...
in fact I just use what is available and make my own extensions when necessary.
In fact recently I just did away with fonts entirely and made my own english
alphabet with gif images of each letter.

    I think now most even mobile processors are getting so fast the language encoding
isn't making as much of a difference anymore.  But I understand his emotions...
we all have them.

--
Paul B. Lester

EMAIL: paul@thetamusic.com