(keitai-l) Re: QR codes - used outside of Japan yet?

From: Michael(tm) Smith <smith_at_sideshowbarker.net>
Date: 01/12/06
Hi Gerhard,

> QR-codes need quite high specifications for the camera,
> and as far as I know most phones on the European
> markets do not have sufficient quality yet. I guess
> that QR-Codes will spread outside Japan in 3-5 years
> time, when camer-phones outside Japan have caught
> up with the specifications.

Wow. I guess I hadn't realized that cameraphones elsewhere were
that far behind relative to the ones in use here and in Korea.

> In Korea color codes are in heavy use, and have also
> started in Japan. We have included a section on
> color codes in our qr-code report. However, color codes
> have a very different business model than QR-codes.

And the technology involved seems quite a bit different as well.
For example, the redundancy that's built into QR codes such that
even if part of the QR-code block is missing (up to 30% or
something as far as I recall), the code can still be read.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://tokyo.metblogs.com/