(keitai-l) Re: QR codes - used outside of Japan yet?

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 01/12/06
Philip Sugai wrote:
> Michael,
>
> There's a great article in this month's Dime magazine (February/March
> 2006 in Japanese) about QR codes.  http://www.digital-dime.com/  In the
> printed magazine its on page 158-160.  Although it's about the Japanese
> market, it give a very interesting overview and details about the
> capabilities and limitations of these codes.
>
> For clarification, I believe a QR or "Quick Response" code, is just the
> name given to 2D "2-dimensional" barcodes by Omron.  So I believe that
> these are one and the same thing technically (but please feel free to
> correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes, I will correct you if you don't mind:

- QR-codes have nothing to do with Omron, QR (=quick response) codes
   were developed by Toyota's subsidiary Denso, which formed a special
   company called Denso-Wave which owns the QR code. They cost quite
   a lot of work and money to develop. They were developed for
   car parts management for Toyota cards - nothing to do with
   mobile phones.

- There are many different 2D codes, not just QR codes. We have a
   list of some common 2D codes in our QR code report:
   http://www.eurotechnology.com/store/qr-code/
   but there are many more. If you feel like it you can develop
   your own 2D bar code - but to develop a good one will take
   many man-years, and a sound knowledge of practical mathematics,
   and some optical engineering knowledge.

Gerhard

> Philip
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                          Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://fasol.com/                       http://www.eurotechnology.com/