(keitai-l) Re: QR codes - used outside of Japan yet?

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 01/12/06
Philip,

Philip Sugai wrote:
> Thanks Gerhard,
>
> I knew the Denso Wave part, but didn't know the differences between QR
> and 2D.  Thank you for the clarification and insights.  Very much
> appreciated.
>
> Does anyone on this list have any actual usage data of QR codes in
> Japan?  We are seeing them everywhere and on virtually everything (even
> the bag of kitchen salt we bought this past week had one on it), but are
> they being used?  Is there any data about this publicly available?

Yes they are being used - very much so.
You can tell that from the fact that
they are everywhere. For example, if you
compare with fingerprint sensors on some
Fujitsu phones, you will notice that other
phones don't have finger print sensors,
because they are not used much.

In terms of counting actual usage, you
bet that most companies using the QR codes
for commercials do this exactly for the
purpose of measuring the response. However,
these data are a commercial secret usually.
For example, Apple does not want SONY to
know how successful a particular QR-code
campaign for the iPod-nano was - logic isn't it?
So if you are trying to find out how successful
a particular iPod-nano campaign with QR codes
was, then I am afraid, you will feel huge
resistance from Apple Computer to tell you.

This area of business is called "competitive
intelligence" and we do some projects in this
area sometimes for customers - but sofar
not yet for Universities (where you seem to
work) - but this will come in Japan, because
as the birth figures fall the competition between
Universities will increase.

Gerhard

> --Philip
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                          Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://fasol.com/                       http://www.eurotechnology.com/