(keitai-l) Loading images based on handset

From: Carlos Camacho <carlos_at_mmlab.co.jp>
Date: 04/11/06
Hello all,

I just joined the list today. I'm a little bit in a pickle, so I pray
someone can help me, or steer me in the right direction.

I'm working in the Web Media section of my company (Japanese). Most of
my work is design and setting up LAMP-based CMS systems.

Today, the people in Mobile Media (they make keitai pages) asked me to
help them with a keitai site. Although I know nothing of keitai sites,
they figure I can help due to my PHP background (I'm a newbie, really!)

OK, here is the problem..

They have 3 CSV files. docomo.csv, au.csv, and vodafone,csv

These files contain two columns, with data like this:

SH900i	l.gif
P101	s.gif
TR10	l.gif
ST900	m.gif

and so on...

The first column is the handset field. The second column refers to the
size ability of the model. ie l.gif stands for large, s = small, etc.

In this keitai page, say they have a list of links, like...

* Wallpaper 1 link
* Wallpaper 2 link
* Wallpaper 3 link
etc..

When the mobile user clicks Wallpaper 1 link, it will load a wallpaper
image (jpg, or png I suppose). The image size will be the "best" for
their handset.

 From my newbie brain, I figure I need to find the user_agent. Then
based on that assign the correct image for the handset.

At the moment, they use a slow and large CGI/Perl script to do this job.
The script though does much more than they need.

I hope I explained my problem well. What are you guys doing/using for
such a case? I'm really lost.

Cheers,

Carlos