(keitai-l) Re: Loading images based on handset

From: Michael Sydenham <msydenham_at_gmail.com>
Date: 04/12/06
Carlos
User agent mapping to image display capability is precisely what is
required. You are on the right track. You will be able to extract the
handset model from the UA string and do a database lookup. As you probably
know, alot of phones can also handle JPG so you may want to add a flag that
can provide a JPG instead of a GIF for the appropriate content (e.g.
photographic wallpapers rather than illustrations). JFYI, there are more
sophisticated solutions also will do resizing on the fly based on more
precise screen parameters, but these cost money or time. Your approach
should be ok - you may want to check out some commercial sites to compare
your result to that of others, and also to the expectation of the client.

HTH

Michael.