(keitai-l) Re: QR codes

From: Michael Sydenham <msydenham_at_gmail.com>
Date: 04/19/06
On 4/19/06, Jim Levinger <jlevinger@nextcodecorp.com> wrote:
> QR code's industrial heritage makes it quite clunky to use for consumer
> applications. .. it is hard to use in lots of print advertising.

I'm not sure if you've actaully seen QR codes in Japan, but I can't agree
with that - on the contrary it's QR code use in advertising that really
contributed to it taking off in Japan. Frequently you'll see QR codes on
nearly every type of print advertising imaginable, from convenience store
receipts to magazines to billboards, even on PC web pages, so it wasn't that
hard to use. QR codes are mainly used to store a URL or other small text
fragment rather than data.

> in Japan the phones use macro focus lenses to
> enable codes to be shrunk down to small enough sizes to fit into print.

How small is small? You make it sound like they are approaching a tiny size,
when they are more like a small stamp size (on average).

> Very few phones outside Japan have these optics thus QR would be
ill-suited.

I think it was more a feature of CCD resolution and general QR block size
rather than stringent optical requirements. Many Japanese phones are capable
of reading codes without being placed into macro mode.

Michael.