(keitai-l) Re: QR codes

From: Jim Levinger <jlevinger_at_nextcodecorp.com>
Date: 04/19/06
Camera phone reading of codes will soon be taking of in Europe. But the use
of QR code as the code format is really a Japanese trend. Outside of Japan
other code formats will be much more likely to be used. QR code was
developed by Denso for use in the automotive industry on shipping
containers. It has some benefits that are particular to Japan such as a
compression method that is suited for encoding Kanji characters.

QR code's industrial heritage makes it quite clunky to use for consumer
applications. For example, the smallest code size is a 21x21 matrix and code
sizes go up at 4 module per side increments. Thus it is hard to use in lots
of print advertising. Further because of the code structure, it is not
efficient in carrying data. So in Japan the phones use macro focus lenses to
enable codes to be shrunk down to small enough sizes to fit into print. Very
few phones outside Japan have these optics thus QR would be ill-suited.

Alternatives like Shotcode only carry a relatively short numeric database
indicator that must be resolved at the shotcode server.

My firm Nextcode has developed a code format called mCode which is designed
for use with standard camera phones -- no macro lens needed. Check out
www.ConnexTo.com. We provide a free client application for camera phones --
more are coming soon. We also have a free code publishing tool at the site.
With our code format we provide much smaller code formats for the same data
than QR. Plus we provide very flexible shapes and code sizes. For example
over 1000 code sizes and graphical aesthetic formats. (you wont find some of
this yet on the ConnexTo site.0

The ConnexTo publishing tool allows you to create free codes containing
URLs, SMS messages, phone numbers and contact details. We also license an
SDK that enables developers to access an API enabled version to create their
own code formats.

I hope you will find this helpful.

Jim Levinger
CEO