(keitai-l) Re: FOMA phones hacked?

From: Arnold P. Siboro <asiboro_at_maltech.jp>
Date: 09/03/06
The president of http://www.landk.ne.jp/ and some of its employees were
arrested on August 25. The company behind the arrest was not NTT, but
Softbank, because http://www.landk.ne.jp/ has been selling unlocked
Vodafone handsets. It's been a common thing at least nowadays that if
you make too much profits too easily you will get arrested. The http://www.landk.ne.jp/
is said to make a lot of profits while making Softbank (Vodafone) lost
several hundreds million yen each month.

Unlocking itself is widely regarded as legal, as well as cancelling
subscription even immediately after making it. So the arrest itself is
mostly not about unlocking but about making a huge loss on Softbank side.
BTW, unlocked Vodafone handsets are one of the most popular items on
Yahoo! Japan auction. Yahoo! Japan belongs to Softbank too, so you guess
what.. Softbank has been getting sweet profits from the sales of
unlocked VodafoneKK handsets when it was still someone else's company,
but as soon as it becomes theirs, they started saying it's against the
law.

NTT's M1000 is also unlockable, but M1000 itself is not in big
circulation as VodafoneKK 3G handsets.

(The news is everywhere in Japanese media, both off- and online. I don't
usually read English media for Japan news, so I don't know if it is on
English language online sources or not.)