(keitai-l) Re: [SPAM] Re: FOMA phones hacked?

From: <martyn_williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 09/19/06
I've spent a lot of time looking into unlocking my Nokia 6630 (now my
ex-cell phone after I bought the Samsung 804SS) and it's not at all
possible to do via a third party route. For the 3G phones Nokia changed the
algorithm it uses to calculate the unlocking code so all the software and
hardware equipment needs the new algorithm which, until now, has not been
discovered.

Some carriers sell unlocked phones -- I heard that most Italian phones are
unlocked -- while others are forced to provide codes by law. Providing the
codes and making it well known that you provide the codes are, of course,
different things -- as another poster mentioned.

> > *)Completely changing the firmware to foreign ones (like writing 6630
> > firmware to 702NK) will of course remove the sim lock, but it's not
> > easy and expensive.

From what I've read that won't remove the SIM lock -- actually, let's get
the terminology correct. Sim lock is incorrectly used all the time. A Sim
lock means the phone won't work with any other SIM. What we are talking
about is the network lock, which locks the phone to a particular network
and won't let you use a SIM from another network.

Anyway, everything I've read on the Nokia phone hacking forums indicates
that a firmware flash won't change the lock status.

Martyn