(keitai-l) Re: iPhone comments

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 01/10/07
If they will allow it to run Skype, it would be worth importing just
as a glorified PDA, using the WiFi for comms.

In Japan an imported iPhone, plus an ultra cheap do-nothing phone
that runs on the JP network, would actually be a fairly useful
combination. An ichat version would be a "must buy" for me as I often
need interpreter support at remote locations.

Thinking sideways - are there any good, portable,  wifi <=> 3G boxes?
So one could run the iPhone with wifi to the portable station, which
connects to the net over 3g?

Would it be legal to run in Japan - as a wifi pda?

Would it be ethical (for geekily loose standards of ethical
behaviour) - or would the GSM phone element cause interference Japan-
side?

Nick