(keitai-l) Re: iPhone comments

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 01/10/07
On Jan 10, 2007, at 14:17, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:

> It's great to hear it'll have Safari/WebKit installed, and the
> zooming features in the browser they show in the animated demos at
> the Apple site (especially the Google Maps demo) are mighty cool
> (assuming the browser will actually do what is shown in the demos).
>
> It's unclear just what version of Safari it'll have. Clearly the
> browser UI will be different than desktop Safari. But what about
> the rest of the iceberg -- the browser core: HTML-CSS rendering
> engines and Javascript handling, etc. -- particularly, SVG...
>
> Current WebKit (the open-source browser core that both Apple
> Safari and the Nokia S60 browser use) has decent SVG support, and
> browser-side XSLT transformation support (including a scripting
> interface to that XSLT support), but it's all modular, so it
> doesn't necessarily mean those modules will be built into the
> iPhone version of the browser.

I'm using a WebKit browser on my E61 and it renders pages beautifully
but the zoom feature is a poor way of navigating wide pages on a
small screen and it ignores the handheld CSS media type defeating the
W3C approved method for content differentiation.

 From the demo, the Safari iPhone browser looks to be the same, with
no small screen rendering or media switching as found in Opera.

> It'll be interesting to find out what CPU/chipset it'll have. But
> it seems clear that it won't have GPS capability built in, which
> is really unfortunate.

Not having a GPS chip is silly considering how tiny and energy
conservative the latest GPS chips are.

I strongly suspect Apple didn't originally want to announce the
iPhone this early but was pretty much forced to with the hysteria
during the last couple of months. This would explain the lack of FCC
approval, an as yet unsigned agreement with Cisco for the iPhone
trademark, the June delivery date, and all those missing features.

Kyle