(keitai-l) Symbian stumbles; Microsoft swaggers; Palm and Linux out to lunch

From: Greg Conquest (home) <conquest_at_spamcop.net>
Date: 01/26/07
So, based on the uncertainty about being able to run unsigned Symbian
apps on the Symbian phones from SoftBank . . .

and the discussions here in June 2006 "(keitai-l) How to demo Symbian
and MIDP in Tokyo?" 'A smart man has worked hard to not let us install
what we want' . . .

and seemingly reasonable views predicting an end to freeware and small
apps, the whole community, due to licensing restrictions for
"SignedSymbian":
http://snipurl.com/SymbianSignedDRM
     . . .

leaves me seeing Symbian is rotten on both ends. Even if we can get
around the particular locks on SoftBank phones for now, the long term
viability of the platform in general is in great doubt. The present
hotbed of community programming will be "Signed by Symbian" right out of
existence. "S60 9.1 v.3" will be Symbian's epitaph except as a cute,
shadow of what it once was.

If I want a user-configurable phone/pda for Japan, with a community of
small developers and open projects, Windows Mobile is currently the only
choice. Right? Please tell me I'm wrong here if I'm overlooking
something . . . OpenMoko PDA soon? The real new Palm OS finally?
Everybody is tired on the platform changes and is just going to JAVA . .
. Anything?

Greg Conquest

Ref:
http://snipurl.com/SymbianSignedDRM