(keitai-l) Re: Symbian stumbles; Microsoft swaggers; Palm and Linux out to lunch

From: Tim Smith <tim_at_freeverse.jp>
Date: 01/27/07
Having been dealing deeply in this myself, have to agree. There's
nothing inherently bad with Symbian , just the horrid business
management for value added applications on Nokia vis a vis
Softbank/Yodafone. You really have to wonder at times if they are simply
following the 'hundred monkeys' method of business development.

Take China for example, it's fairly painless to get both CMCC and Nokia
China behind the ball on value added applications. They have a real team
in place, talk to each other, and support the developers with referrals
to regional operators ready and willing to test market. In contrast, you
have Nokia Japan which doesn't seem to know its head from tail, waiting
for <someone> who always seems to be absent at Softbank for approval,
then passing the whole thing over to Singapore, who are mainly
disinterested and couldn't be bothered from their table at the Raffles.

Personally I'm a big fan of Symbian, lots of great apps can be built,
deployed and revenues earned. However, until the operator AND handset
vendor realize that having value added apps on the phone actually
increases their brand loyalty and improves ARPU , we'll be stuck in the
same old humdrum.

JAVA simply doesn't crack the nut. Far too high level and pitiful access
to the lower , highly needed , functions on the phone. Great for games
and simple apps -- but really a far cry from the depth of applications
you can build out of Symbian.

For example - we have a 2D (QRCODE) reading application in Symbian that
is fully approved by both CMCC and Nokia in CHina. It's the ONLY
micro-focus AND fixed-focus app that actually works worth a damn. Look
around you - at Softbank, EVERY released keitai with a camera has a 2D
reader EXCEPT NOKIA!! Trying to get them or Softbank off the mark is
impossible. A perfect example of their total unknowingness of the market
state around them. Bizarre.