(keitai-l) Re: N73 question

From: Chris Houser <houser_at_kinjo-u.ac.jp>
Date: 03/23/07
On 3/23/07, Nick May <nick@kyushu.com> wrote:

> Would the list owners/administrator care to remind list members what
> the rules actually are?

I was a little surprised to see no rules here.
Maybe there are none!
(Beyond common sense nettiquette.)

> I must confess I was not aware I was party to a contract - or,
> indeed, that a "list" could BE party to a contract.

Well, TOS or EULA or whatever.

In general, I suppose the worst an online service could do would be to
ban users ignoring their TOS. (A contract would allow them a civil
suit.)

> Is Mr Houser an list administrator?

Not at all.

> For myself - and this is just a personal opinion, my tolerance for
> people implicitly "plugging" on the list depends on whether they are
> also giving at least some info away for free, to the general benefit
> of all. It is a matter of balance I think, with multiple shades of grey.

I suppose it's gray for me too.
Are informercials ads or educational TV programs?
Are white papers scholarly articles or protracted ads?