(keitai-l) Re: Japan's KDDI to provide cellphone service in U.S

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 04/11/07
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:

> By Japanese standards, they're relatively low-end handsets (though
> they are GPS equipped, which maybe sets them apart in US).

Actually, from some particular point in time I can't remember, all new
cellphones in the U.S. are mandated to be GPS-equipped with the location
given to 911 and similar services.

This doesn't necessarially mean that there will be any user-visible
interface to this, though.

> We know that one key part of the Au service in Japan that has set
> it apart and helped to win over the huge number of subscribers
> they gained after number portability went into effect in October
> is the "PC Site Viewer" full browser (Opera Mobile) on all their
> 3G handsets.

Really? Don't all the more recent 900-series Docomo phones also have
that? Certainly my D903i has a full-site viewer which works reasonably
well, as well as a PDF viewer which is not so great.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974