(keitai-l) Re: SoftBank & Apple

From: Andrew Shuttleworth <andrew_at_cvp.jp>
Date: 05/14/07
My understanding is that both Softbank and DoCoMo have 3G flat rate plans for about 10,000 yen/month for use with a so-called smart phone. I think flat rate is the only way to go if you plan to use a lot of data. I think all 3 carriers have cheaper flat rate plans if you are using a non-smart phone, but these are still expensive compared to places like Hong Kong.

None of the 3 big carriers have a flat rate plan if you want a cellular connection for your laptop. Willcom and E-Mobile do for around 5,000 yen a month, but E-Mobile's coverage is supposedly still a bit patchy and Willcom has good coverage but in not 3G (although I find their service plenty fast enough for everyday use).

DoCoMo will, I believe, have new a packet plan coming out on 1 June, which may allow you to use the cellular connection for laptops (I'm not 100% sure). Softbank have said they will match the pricing of any of their competitors

Andrew
www.pocketpcjapan.com