(keitai-l) Re: Roaming Abroad

From: Nik Frengle <nfrengle_at_gmail.com>
Date: 07/20/07
A couple of things:
   - There ARE antennaes in Tokyo subway stations. I know for a fact that
   Vodafone had 100% coverage for 2G, and nearly that for 3G almost two years
   ago. I believe that au and DoCoMo also have coverage. Just because there are
   all sorts saying 'don't talk on the train' doesn't mean you can't talk on
   the platform, and in fact it is a very popular thing to do: "Honey, I will
   be home at 2 am, drunk as a skunk and frisky, so..." Subway tunnels are a
   different matter. Until the preference for deathly silence of 100 sardines,
   uhmm, I mean commuters, packed into a square metre is swapped for the
   annoying sound of human speech, there isn't much to be done. The BS about
   pacemakers ruins it for people who just want to send e-mails. Actually,
   mini-cells aren't very expensive, so I am guessing it is just Tokyo Metro
   trying to squeeze more out of the carriers.
   - SMS message cost nowhere near 100 yen. In fact, as a couple of
   others have noted, the line in Japan between SMS and e-mail is very blurred,
   especially on Nokia or other foreign handsets, so that if you send a mail,
   for example, from a Softbank phone that is to a phone number outside of
   Japan, it gets sent as SMS if the gateway recognises the number, which is
   the case with it's roaming partners. That is because with 3G, they use
   standard SMS infrastructure and handset clients to do e-mail. Depending on
   the data price plan you are on, a short message will cost you 5 yen or less.
   - DoCoMo and Softbank use sim cards in their 3G phones, but I am
   reasonably certain that au do not, unless they have started doing that in
   the last several months. Older DoCoMo sims didn't allow use in a GSM phone,
   but newer ones do, I believe. You used to have to ask for a 'blue sim' if
   you wanted to roam overseas.
   - I agree with Andrew that it is great to just send a text to
   someone's mobile phone number. But the lack of that functionality in Japan
   is not a result of backwardness, but the opposite: Because the closed SMS
   system was fairly quickly opened to e-mail, something that most European and
   American operators still haven't done, one of the unfortunate downsides was
   spam, and as noted above, phone numbers were too easy to guess, and so they
   went. There may be a lesson there, which is that closed systems have their
   advantages. But tell that to the majority of Japanese whose main e-mail
   address is their mobile. There are ways that phones can exchange such
   information by IRDA, and clever people actually use that to exchange mobile
   e-mail addresses, but it is true that texting someone you don't know is not
   possible to do reliably in Japan.

Best,
Nik