(keitai-l) Re: Roaming Abroad

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 07/19/07
JS

answers below:

On 2007/07/18, at 9:13, Wong Jeat Shyan wrote:

> Hi! This is somehow related to the roaming thread:
>
> - Does japanese operator use SIM for the subscription now?  If yes,
> which operator?

DoCoMo and SoftBank use SIM, actually its called USIM for wCDMA.
You can put a DoCoMo SIM into a GSM phone in Europe or US
and it will work.
KDDI uses SIM for roaming.

At the moment all Japanese phones are SIM-locked, but
there are plans for unlocking in the near future.

> - Does japan has GSM or UMTS 2100?  My understanding is they use a
> different CDMA band.  Which operator offer GSM/UMTS 2100?

There are many different networks in Japan, but there is no GSM at all.
DoCoMo and SoftBank use both PDC and wCDMA and HSPDA.
eMobile uses HSPDA.
Willcom uses PHS.
KDDI/AU uses CDMA2000-1X-EVDO.

> - Can the UMTS2100 send/receive SMS across operators in Japan?

In some cases.
Please be aware that Japanese people use mobile email, and
not much SMS.

Hope this helps. If you want to have a detailed overview we have
a lot of reports about Japan's telecom sector on our company website.

It's amazing and astonishing - but severalof the world's largest
companies in the telecom sector failed in Japan, because they did not
understand the structure of Japan's telecom industry. So don't be shy.

Gerhard Fasol
http://www.eurotechnology.com/