(keitai-l) DoCoMo XHTML/i-XHTML Support

From: David Harper <dharper_at_wirelessink.com>
Date: 08/12/07
 Hi Keitai-l Members. Help! The team here at Winksite have been trying to
deliver standards compliant XHTML mobile site templates to DoCoMo devices.
After reviewing various DoCoMo documents, it appears DoCoMo supports XHTML
flavored as i-XHTML but does not support external style sheets or on page
styling defined within the <style type="text/css">...</style> element.
RatherDoCoMo support styling in individual elements, ie. <tag style="....">
As such we tested a page with styling on individual elements on a DoCoMo
SO902i (Sony) on the DoCoMo network but the styling on individual elements
didn't work as expected. We found a document on DoCoMo's servers that states
<I believe> that the SO902i is i-XHTML 2.0 compatible, but I could be
readingit incorrectly. That document is located at:
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/binary/pdf/service/imode/make/content/spec
/imode_spec.pdf[1], under the area called FOMA 902i. Please see the page we
tested the DoCoMo SO902i here: http://winksite.com/xhtml/si_index.htm[2]
Notes:
  * To view source from the desktop you will need to switch your browsers
User Agent to deliver DoCoMo i-Mode):
  * The pages that follow the links from this page do not contain the styles
on the individual elements (what we were testing) but are instead coded with
the styles contained within the <style type="text/css">...</style> element.
  * We are passing the following Doctype to DoCoMo keitais:
    * <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//i-mode group (ja)//DTD XHTML
i-XHTML(Locale/Ver.=ja/2.0) 1.0//EN" "i-xhtml_4ja_10.dtd">

I'm banging my head against the wall trying to sort out the missing piece or
where we have taken a left turn. Can anyone take a look at
http://winksite.com/xhtml/si_index.htm[3] from a DoCoMo keitai and provide
insight? (Note: Clicking on any of the links from the above page should take
you to pages where the CSS is contained within the alternative <style
type="text/css">...</style> element. Sending a screenshot to
dharper@wirelessink.com[4] would also be helpful. Have a nice weekend
everyone. Cheers, David Harper Founder, Winksite Co-founder, Mobile Monday
NY
--- Links ---
   1 http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/binary/pdf/service/imode/make/content/spec/imode_spec.pdf
   2 http://winksite.com/xhtml/si_index.htm