(keitai-l) Smartphone options in Japan (was RE: Re: OpenMoko / Neo1973 in Japan?)

From: Andrew Shuttleworth <andrew_at_cvp.jp>
Date: 10/07/07
DoCoMo are opening up their data plans from Oct. 22 so if you have an unlocked phone that works on the DoCoMo network you will be able to get data as well as voice.

The flat rate will be 4,200/mnth for 64kbps and 4,200-10,000 for 3G plus approx. 400-800 yen for the Mopera service. (FTP and streaming video will supposedly be still packet charged). The 3G will be max. 4.200 until Jan. next year so it's a good chance to try it out. If you have DoCoMo phone you will be able to use it as a USB/Bluetooth modem with flat rate 3G. Great news!

http://www.nttdocomo.com/pr/2007/001364.html

I'm not sure what unlocked 3G mobile devices with other OSs are available worldwide, but if there are any available I imagine you would be able to use them on the same plan.

Andrew

.... SNIP ...