(keitai-l) Re: OpenMoko / Neo1973 in Japan?

From: Oliver Wittchow <ow_at_nanoloop.com>
Date: 10/07/07
hi

the Neo1973 lacks UMTS and there is no carrier that allows to use "unauthorized" phones, so both requirements are not met.

softbank and docomo raleased/announced some interesting windows mobile smartphones recently. as far as i can tell, these are not crippled too much and allow native application development (i just assume that, please correct me if i'm wrong).

best

oliver

Greg Conquest wrote

> Hi all,
>
> Do you know if the Neo1973 (1st OpenMoko phone) will work in Japan?
>
> I guess technically there has to both:
> - be a match to the network type (GSM vs. CDMA vs. . . .)
> - and there has to be a carrier here that can be used with unauthorized
> phones.
>
> Will both of these work out for the Neo1973? I'd love to have a
> smartphone that is not overly crippled by the carrier-manufacturer
> cartel, and if I can support linux development at the same time, then I
> can kill two birds with one stone, er... feed two rabbits with one
> carrot >:-o
>
> Thanks,
> Greg Conquest

oliver wittchow