(keitai-l) Re: OpenMoko / Neo1973 in Japan?

From: .~* Greg Conquest *~. <conquest_at_spamcop.net>
Date: 10/08/07
Thanks Andrew for the news and analysis about DoCoMo's opening network.
(more below -- three authors responded to in turn)

Gerhard Fasol wrote:
> If you are clever about it, then you get a top-range HSPDA phone
> with mobile TV etc for YEN 1 in addition to the SIM card.

So, if the TV can be viewed without the SIM card being inserted, then
you can get a SIM card and a voice/data plan for your phone of choice,
and you get a mobile TV device for one yen?

Oliver Wittchow wrote:
 > softbank and docomo raleased/announced some interesting windows
mobile smartphones recently. as far as i can tell, these are not
crippled too much and allow native application development (i just
assume that, please correct me if i'm wrong).

It has been my observation that the Windows Mobile devices have been the
most open (compared with Symbian's need for signing and Palm's death
spiral...). I just cringe at the thought of inputting yet more of my
data into a system that will close down if it ever gets successful.
Windows is open now on the mobile front largely because it is an underdog.

On a related note, I did see that au is offering an unlocked GPS feature
called "saigai navi" (Natural Disaster Navigation) I don't know how
broad this "unlocking" is, but such phones would have GPS ability even
if all the cell towers in Japan were knocked out by an earthquake,
apparently.... I wonder if they can tag photos with GPS co-ordinates
while in the middle of the Pacific minus the earthquake . . .

Arnold P. Siboro wrote:
 > Yes you can, and I have done with DoCoMo and Softbank, so you can use
 > any handset you want with the SIM card of Japanese carriers.
 > The only problem is the inability to use packet-switched network of the
 > carriers since the GPRS setting is not published.

So, short of the network opening by DoCoMo, just changing SIM's means no
packet-switching network -- meaning no voice or data or something basic,
I guess . . .

Greg