(keitai-l) Re: XHTML UTF-8 support in Japan

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/11/07
On a practical basis, I currently:

Send chtml sjis to all DcCoMo.

for other clients, sniff the   $_SERVER[HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET] variable
to see if it contains UTF-8 OR utf-8

If so, send utf-8. If not, or the variable does not exist, send sjis.

AFAICanSee, DcCoMo handsets don't set $_SERVER[HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET].

It may be worth making sure all JP output goes through an encoding
function. The encoding function can set the output to the appropriate
encoding depending on the client. This will slow your output very
slightly, but only very slightly.

Nick

Japanese Maps, English Labels.
Find Japanese addresses in English. Now for phones too...
http://diddlefinger.com
http://diddlefinger.mobi