(keitai-l) Re: XHTML UTF-8 support in Japan

From: Paul Lester <paul_at_thetamusic.com>
Date: 12/12/07
    Pretty much all DoCoMo phones are handling UTF-8 now last I checked
(a few years ago!!), but people still use their own phones from even before that.

    I know because on a new site we are monitoring which phones are accessing
and I have seen N504, SO503i and some other really old ones as well.  That
really surprised me!

    And I periodically see those old models in real life as well.  I really would have guessed
that they are not in use but they are.

    Its never safe to assume everyone is using newer stuff.  I've found my favorite browsers one
day stopped working with my favorite web sites, and have had other (non technical) friends with the
same experience.  Its kind of disturbing but many programmers assume everyone has moved
on and many people have not.  Its good to keep backwards compatibility and usually very easy to
do, but it usually gets forgotten due to time constraints on projects.

    The easiest way to see this is to look at the user agents accessing a site!  (and hope no one is
sending fake user agents).