(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Scan Codes and Direct vs. Indirect Resolution Japan 2008)

From: Jim Levinger <jlevinger_at_nextcodecorp.com>
Date: 02/15/08
Hi Curt,

Thanks for your mention of the Color Code technology. I have been following
those folks for some time. I am assuming that consumers need to download a
ColorZip client to be able to read those codes. Are any operators preloading
ColorZip readers? Some of the graphical codes are pretty impressive.

I have seen some pricing out of Singapore for Color Code use and found it
quite high. Any idea how it is priced in Japan.

On encouraging data service adoption through code scanning, you get no
argument from me.

In regard to companies charging to create QR codes, are these standard codes
or the ones that have some graphics embedded into the codes? How could
someone charge for straight forward QR codes. It seems like anyone can
create one for free. With these quasi graphical QR codes, is there much of a
trick to that. It seems like one cranks up the error correction level to
allow for the destruction of part of the code where the graphic goes.

Jim

Jim Levinger
Nextcode