(keitai-l) Re: I-mode in Europe

From: Paul Warmer <warmer_at_euronet.nl>
Date: 08/21/00
But it is true.

Over the past few days the role of DoCoMo as part of the KPN deal was
discussed inn length. To my opinion the main benefits for KPN will not be in
the area of technology, where the power of KPN in a European market is
small. But by learning from the business models that DoCoMo has already
successfully implemented, KPN can absolutely boost its performance in the
mobile data market. Main parts of the i-Mode strategy are easily copied here
in Europe, although there are some major differences.

In Japan consumers are the main force behind keitai, in Europe a large part
of the market are company-paid phones. Europeans (certainly here in Holland)
are married with their cars, spending a huge amount of time in their cars
staring at the car in front of them, where as their Japanese colleagues
commute by public transportation, giving them plenty of time to surf with
their mobile phones, looking for a break.
The love for karaoke (melodies) and cartoons in Asia are not matched by the
Europeans. And last but not least there is the technology: we lack package
switch networks (an absolute must for a fast, easy to use and affordable
connection) and we lack a neat integration of mail and content sites (at
this moment an SMS message can't contain a hyperlink to a WAP site, reducing
the commercial interesting possibility to push content and traffic).

So, direct copy and past will not be successful, but still there is a lot to
learn and leverage from the Japanese market....