(keitai-l) Re: Keitai usage

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 08/22/00
Mika Tuupola, soliciting local comparisons cites:

> >    Allegra Strategies

> > Services most wanted on mobile phones
> >
> > Email: 87.2
> > Traffic Info: 39.0
> > Banking: 36.1
> > News/Weather: 34.9
> > General Browsing: 29.7
> > Calender/ Address: 28.3
> > Music Downloads: 22.3
> > Sports Results: 21.5
> > Stock quotes: 17.3
> > Shopping: 16.9
> > Games: 11.5

Wow, games way down there.

> > Respondents: 1,386 (but it doesn't say how many of these are currently
> > WAP-enabled).

That would be nice to know.  Probably, adults will understate
games even if they like games above all.

Ren responds:

> Don't have exact numbers, but for actual i-mode usage I know email is #1,
> followed by entertainment (games, ringtones, etc.)
>
> Interesting how different Europe's supposed demands are compared to
Japan's
> actual usage...I really wonder though, if WAP in Europe offered what we
have
> in Japan now, would games still be last...?

Just my perception here, but ketai seems to be very much about
"how to while away those tedious commute hours without violating
the anti-keitai rules of train system operators."  Both games and
e-mail fit nicely.  Both are obviously incompatible, though, with
avoiding multi-car pileups.

Anyway, it seems confirmed: E-Mail is still the killer net app, and even
slow-input sub-chiclets input devices don't make much of a dent in that.
CRM ("Customer Relationship Management") is all the buzz these days,
but people seem to really be going might be called PRM: Personal
Relationship Management.

Jakob Nielsen makes some good points on this, somewhere: the
best "content" is still what your friends and acquaintances will
write for you for free.  (And even for a small charge.)

Not to mention what they will *speak* for a charge.  Let's not
forget: if the survey had listed "making and receiving phone
calls and voice mail" as a possible service, that category would
probably have garnered 100% of the vote, even though it's
clear that there is a market for non-phone mobile wireless net
devices.

Michael Turner
www.idiom.com/~turner
leap@gol.com