(keitai-l) Re: Disney-I

From: Mika Tuupola <tuupola_at_appelsiini.net>
Date: 08/23/00
On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Jamie Hayes wrote:

> The Walt Disney Internet Group has said that it will provide content
> for the i-Mode mobile internet service operated by Japanese carrier
> NTT DoCoMo.

	It seems mobile can comic/cartoon wolds is really merging.
	Recently a Finish mobile game company Riot Entertainment

		http://www.riot-e.com/

	teamed up with Marvel to bring some superhero content to
	mobile phones. Below is a newsclip from Reuters. I haven't
	been able to find url to original content.

-cut-

Spiderman coming to mobile phones X-Men and other superheroes, too
REUTERS

HELSINKI, Aug 16 ^× A Finnish high-tech firm is teaming up with
U.S. toy maker and cartoon publisher Marvel Enterprises to bring
Spiderman and other superheros to mobile phones.

Finnish Riot Entertainment (RIOT-E) will create games and icons,
based on Marvel's universe of more than 4,700 characters, for mobile
phones  and other wireless devices, the two companies said in a
statement on Wednesday. The first product, "X-Men: The Wireless Game",
will be available to users of Internet-enabled WAP mobile phones
throughout Europe and Asia later this month, and talks to bring the
superheroes back to the United States were also under way.
RIOT-E ^× backed by the world's leading mobile phone maker
Nokia, Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. and Japanese investment firm Softbank
is the  latest in a series of companies developing games for mobile
phones. Finnish venture, Moving Entertainment Oyj Ltd, has already
launched its "Flip and Mick" mobile phone cartoons, and another Finnish
group Springtoys is supplying a range of e-games to mobile operators.
Mobile phone network operators and content providers around the world
are scrambling to create the potentially lucrative value-added services
from games to matchmaking for Internet-linked mobile phones.

Demand  for the services is driven by operators' need to generate
revenues to fund the construction of the high-speed third-generation
mobile phone networks that will bring an array of data and video content
to phones.

"Wireless communication platforms represent one of the fastest
growing  and potentially lucrative areas for creative entertainment,"
Marvel said. WAP (Wireless Application Protocol) is a technology that
makes scaled-down Internet content available to cellphone users.

-cut-

--
Mika Tuupola                      http://www.appelsiini.net/~tuupola/