(keitai-l) Re: I-Mode versus Wap...once again

From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah_at_anima.de>
Date: 09/25/00
Hi,

> #  Does anyone else see the dangerous parallels between this and
> # the actions of a hive mind? People are becoming less autonomous,
> # more used to communicating their plans and ideas with others and
> # receiving feedback before acting. Rather than allowing us to share
> # information, mobile phones are acting as mechanisms which dampen
> # individual creativity and instead encourage people to conform to
> # the hive.

Oh give me a break, exactly the same things have been said in the
past when reading books became popular and parents used to forbid
their children to read because 'it makes you stupid and limits
your phantasy', and then the same has been said about the TV and
so on...

In fact I think there might be people who only read books which
make them more stupid and watch movies which don't give them
anything to learn, but the majority of people has been able to
expanded their horizont by using such media in the long run, no?

So it depends on what you make of it, yes! You can either look
at pornos on the Internet or you can go and surf literally
thousands of sites everyday which show and teach you something
about this world which you didn't know yet and might have never
found if not online.

I think in that respect the mobile Internet and services like
WAP and i-mode etc. make no difference there. People will use
different media if they like them and in the way they like it.

Your kids will do things with cell phones / handhelds which you
never thought would be possible. Is that scary? I don't think so.

Cheers,
Andrea
--
Andrea Hoffmann -- Editor-in-Chief --  hoffmann@westcyber.com