(keitai-l) Re: New wireless whitepaper

From: Thomas O'Dowd <tom_at_uwillsee.com>
Date: 09/26/00
On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 12:14:19PM +0900, Juergen Specht wrote:
> Zimran,
> Zimran Ahmed wrote:
> > I thought the group would be interested in our new free white paper on
> > wireless customer experience.
> this is a really good paper and a lot of people will not love to hear
> your arguments, but I found 2 things:
>
> > Q:Does it make sense to run Java on a wireless device?
> > A:No.Software written in Java is compiled when the program
> > runs,which means that the customer must wait extra time
> > for the software to start running.

Juergen already made a comment on this, but I thought I'd clarify
some more. Software written in Java does *not* get compiled
when the program runs. What is more likely to happen is that the
Java VM (which ever one) will load pre-compiled[1] byte code from
a class file (where ever that might be). The only delay you might
expect is the time taken to start the Java virtual machine. I'm
guessing that on the phones, this starts when the phone is booted
as Ren said that the midlets will run on the handset not the
browser. It could well start a different VM for each midlet though,
anyone know?

Notes: [1] A java app[let] is usually compiled by the programmer
and distributed as java byte code.

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd                   Have you had your noop today?
tom_at_nooper.com                  http://www.nooper.com