(keitai-l) Re: New wireless whitepaper

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 09/26/00
I take serious issue with these 2 points:

*Tiny screens,poor resolution :To stay pocket-sized,wireless displays will
likely
never get bigger than the Palm Pilot screen ? 6 cm by 6 cm..To conserve
battery
power,wireless displays also have poor resolution,and few have color.The most

basic WAP screen currently holds four lines of text,with 12 characters per
line.

It would make the report more complete if you included the latest screen
technology from Japan.
The first i-mode phone (more than 1.5 years ago) displayed 6 lines of 16
ascii characters, with a graphics display 112x84 pixels.
The latest N502i has a 256 color screen that can display 10 lines of 20
characters, 118x128 pixels.

*Poor data entry :No handheld device has a data entry system that approaches
the
ease-of-use of a full PC keyboard.The RIM Blackberry fs two-thumb keyboard
is
the most efficient text entry interface currently available for a wireless
device.Until
much better speech recognition becomes available for wireless devices,data
entry
will always be limited.

This is completely false. Certainly, for current users used to text entry on
a qwerty keyboard, using a 10key to enter is difficult. But for the majority
of wireless users who never have used a PC or qwerty keyboard, the learning
curve for 10key typing is no more or less difficult than using a qwerty
keyboard. Considering the bulk of potential wireless users are not currently
using PCs, I think the argument is misleading. As I've stated before, it's
fork vs chopstick: Western fork users are convinced it's inherently easier to
use a fork than chopsticks. But several billion kids over the years have at
least as hard a time learning to use a fork as chopsticks.
Anecdotal evidence:
1 - my 20yr old sister-in-law can type emails on her J-Phone about 35 wpm,
but she slows down to 15 wpm when she uses my PC.
2 - several i-mode magazines often have "fast-typing" contests where they
randomly stop people on the street and ask them to send a fairly complicated
email to the interviewer, who times them. Some results come in at upwards of
60 wpm.

Also, intelligent technologies like Tegic's T9 make text input a breeze on
10keys; automatic type completion and word learning work really well in
several languages across the globe.

Finally, I must congratulate your explanation of the shortcomings of existing
WAP services. Page 20 makes an excellent distinction between the technical
problems inherent in the WAP implementation and the problems of existing
WAP-based services.

Regards,

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature