(keitai-l) Re: Handset technology

From: Petri Ojala <ojala_at_iki.fi>
Date: 03/16/01
It's quite true that the way how Europe is built accounts a great deal why
GSM has been so popular.  Remember that there were analog and also some
other minor digital networks before but they have more or less died due the
popularity of GSM.

GSM is also strong in non-Japanese parts of Asia and increasingly in
Southern America.  Don't japanese people ever go south to e.g. China, Hong
Kong, Singapore or Australia?  One could assume that Japanese manufacturer
might have difficulties to enter Europe but it should be easier for a
japanese to "conquer" e.g. Singapore than Nokia, Ericsson or Motorola.

Now that we've seen the profit warnings from Alcatel, Siemens, Ericsson,
Motorola etc. and Nokia's announcement (I don't know how they do it but it's
amazing), does anyone have the handset and other figures for japanese mobile
handset and network manufacturers, turnover, total turnover, profit from the
mobile business and total profit?  If I remember correctly, there has been
some profit warnings as well.

I also believe that several asian handset manufacturers did announce over
the last 12-18 months that they will now enter the GSM handset market with a
big effort.

Petri