(keitai-l) Re: Handset technology

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 03/17/01
Ren says it well, but if I may say it another way: for the
time being, the "low-hanging fruit," for Japanese
manufacturers, is in Japan; second, perhaps, are
similarly-insular markets (the U.S. and some other
Asian countries); finally, you get the telecom mosaic
of Europe.  Europeans have those month-long vacations,
typically taken in other parts of Europe; and the
Eurozone is economically more integrated than the
participating telecoms.  This is where GSM really counts.
Maybe it should be called ESM for the time being?

Also, "fruit" depends on where you are.  Market share
is the plum in Japan; actually making money is what
they might want to do elsewhere.  Japanese handset
manufacturers might prefer to sell bigger and clunkier
(read: cheaper to make) handsets in the U.S., where
the constant threat of trade action might make a
market-share emphasis strategically untenable, at
least for the moment, but where nobody prevents
them from making a profit.  In fact, the dual strategies
are complementary, not contradictory - clunkiness in
foreign markets helping, in effect, to subsidize penetration
of more advanced stuff at home.  Not unprecedented,
I'm sure.

-m
leap@gol.com