(keitai-l) Handset technology

From: Eijkemans, Paul <Paul.Eijkemans_at_ben.nl>
Date: 03/16/01
That is also a part of the puzzle. Main Western manufacturers of handsets
are Nokia, Motorola, Ericsson (well..), etc. These companies are typically
known as companies that deliver telecommunications equipment. The Japanese
manufacturers of handsets are Sony, Panasonic, etc. Most of them are
typically known as consumer electronics companies.

With a shift from being a telecommunications device to a fashion statement,
I think the consumer electronics companies that have years of experience
with miniaturization, operating systems for small devices, new chip
technologies for small devices, color screens, etc. have a considerable
advantage over the non-consumer electronics companies.

Research on the radio-interface of cellphones will be, in my opinion, a
lesser and lesser part of the whole research cake. And can probably be
outsourced.

Any manufacturer listening to comment?

Paul

> Remember Japanese handset makers are NEC,
>Fujitsu, Panasonic, etc. whose main business is not cell phones. So for a
Japanese
>maker to do enough R&D to make decent enough GSM handsets and market enough
and get
>connected to sales channels, etc. enough to have reasonable sales in
Europe, it