(keitai-l) Re: Handset technology

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 03/17/01
"Eijkemans, Paul" wrote:

> That is also a part of the puzzle. Main Western manufacturers of handsets
> are Nokia, Motorola, Ericsson (well..), etc. These companies are typically
> known as companies that deliver telecommunications equipment. The Japanese
> manufacturers of handsets are Sony, Panasonic, etc. Most of them are
> typically known as consumer electronics companies.

"Known as" in Europe and US does not mean that this is the true character
of these companies. NEC for example is a major supplier of telecom equipment.

What western people think about Japan is not always the reality. Here is another
manifestation of this fact: many people in Europe & US think that the
key founder
of SONY was Morita, while in fact it was Ibuka (Ibuka is much better
known in
Japan than Morita). Actually, I was asked to write an obituary about
Ibuka, if
someone is seriously interested I can fax it to him/her.

> With a shift from being a telecommunications device to a fashion statement,
> I think the consumer electronics companies that have years of experience
> with miniaturization, operating systems for small devices, new chip
> technologies for small devices, color screens, etc. have a considerable
> advantage over the non-consumer electronics companies.

technology will always be important. fashion is important, but in most
places
you will not be able to sell or even give-away-for-free a handset which
looks
fashionable but has a small b/w screen and short battery life.

> Research on the radio-interface of cellphones will be, in my opinion, a
> lesser and lesser part of the whole research cake. And can probably be
> outsourced.
>
> Any manufacturer listening to comment?

probably not.

Gerhard