(keitai-l) Re: JPEG & DSP on keitais (was Re: Re: New 503i release dates)

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 03/19/01
Hubert Hung-Hsien Chang wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Michael Turner wrote:
>

> > > (...) DSP (digital signal processing) chips are ideally suited
> > > for fast repetitive
> > > integer arithmetic, so programming a DSP to do JPEG can yield
> > > significant speedups." (from: JPEG image compression FAQ)
>
> Wait, when 3G handsets arrive, don't they come with DSP for mpeg?
> And if so, adding another DSP for jpeg ( I assume mpeg and jpeg
> is somewhat different, but you can certainly use one frame mpeg
> as still image.) would be cumbersome...

This same issue arises with digital TV decoders - they all have
hardware for decoding MPEG-2 streams to a frame buffer, but not
all of them support JPEG decoding or MPEG decoding to the buffer
that's used for other graphics.  One-frame MPEG streams certainly
can be used for still background images, but displaying them
inline with text and other graphics is, as far as I can see,
impracticable.  However, I doubt that phone manufacturers would
be so shortsighted as to leave out support for JPEG decoding if
they are supporting the much more demanding application of MPEG
decoding (and maybe encoding).

Ben.