(keitai-l) Re: JPEG & DSP on keitais (was Re: Re: New 503i release dates)

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 03/19/01
Renfield Kuroda wrote:
> Cellphones in Japan have had DSP for years, for audio processing. That's
> what HyperTalk is for DoCoMo, among other things. I'd be surprised if any
> handsets in Japan DIDN'T have a DSP.
<snip>

Right.  Digital mobile phones require DSPs not only for audio processing
but for encoding and decoding of the radio signalling protocol (PDC or
whatever).  The radio functions are so time-critical that I think it is
not practical to use the DSP for other purposes while the phone is
signed-on to a network.  Since the phone must sign-on in order to access
i-mode, the DSP cannot be used for JPEG decoding.

Ben.