(keitai-l) Re: i-mode opened to ISP?

From: JAPON.NET <web_at_japon.net>
Date: 03/23/01
on 01.3.23 12:32 AM, Hubert Hung-Hsien Chang at hubert@4w1h.com wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, JAPON.NET wrote:
>> on 01.3.22 11:53 PM, Hubert Hung-Hsien Chang at hubert@4w1h.com wrote:
>>> It is unclear to me what it means when the
>>> report says the DoCoMo will open its i-mode service to ISP
>>> in two years.
>>> http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Article&cid=FT3VAXS8MKC&liv
>>> e=true&tagid=ZZZPCGI2B0C&subheading=telecoms
>>> You can access i-mode service (especially for the official site)
>>> through ISP ( so regular browser.) or what? I think that
>>> will make sense but some other report is confusing...
>>> Hubert
>>
>> It means that a user will be able to select which ISP to use to access the
>> internet ( i-mode sites ) in a similar way to the fixed internet. ie. using
>> So-net while the local loop is owned by NTT or like international carriers
>> on top of the local loop.
>
> So you are saying, when they push the 'i' button they will be
> using the ISP they have choosen, not DoCoMo's anymore?
> What about the packet traffic charge? DoCoMo is going to waive
> it? That is highly unlikely. That is their main source of data revenue.
DoCoMo would charge the ISP a connection fee. A connection fee may represent
less income than packets but it also means could mean lesser costs to
DoCoMo. All this is sometime from now, when there may be more traffic due to
3G ?

And interconnection fees are quite high in the Japanese fixed lines, this is
a big trade issue with USTR and (less so) the EU. If *brandnewteleco* is
being charged 4.000 yen for 24hr 64K access AND *goodoldteleco* retails it
for 5.000, you can assume that there is not that much room for the new guy
in the block.

The devil is in the details

Vincent J. Luna, Director
--
JAPON.NET llc.: Making Your Company Visible in Japan
web_at_japon.net   http://www.japon.net/web/

iMode Eye: Independent Source on Japan's mBiz
http://www.japon.net/imode/