(keitai-l) Re: wireless email (was: NEC's new GPRS phone)

From: Hubert Hung-Hsien Chang <hubert_at_4w1h.com>
Date: 03/25/01
On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Gustaf Rosell wrote:

> At 00:41 2001-03-24, petri wrote:
>
> > > Yes, most likely, but it is not official yet. And there are also some
> > > uncertainties. i-mode would in this case rather mean GPRS + colour screen +
> > > XHTML Basic (incl. CHTML and WML 1.3 (possibly full WAP 1.2), JPEG) + POP3
> > > email + SMS + SSL.
> >
> >POP3 email, sure, but..  I was wondering if any wireless carrier is offering
> >any decent e-mail service yet?

It just occurs to me, does anyone know if WAP 2.0 is going to support
PNG?

> The success of Blackberry in the US is quite interesting. It is really an
> email saga. See www.blackberry.net

Yes, and they are extending it to PDA features and also in coming quarters
(I don't know EXACT date.) It will be integrated with voice. So we have a
bundle of different devices. PDA with phone plug(such as Visor from Hand
Spring), Phone with a PDA (such as LG joyphone or Kyocera(?)) and then the
email device with PDA + Phone ( blackberry from RIM)  I guess there are
more than Japanese who like gadgets...

Of course, you could count also the Motorola's, Nokia's and Ericsson's
commnuicator which are essential phone + PDA + programmable OS with API
but usually they are bulky and heavier and lesser popular. No, I don't
think you really want to use it to drive your BMW like 007 did.
But it would be cool of course.

Hubert