(keitai-l) wireless email (was: NEC's new GPRS phone)

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 03/25/01
At 00:41 2001-03-24, petri wrote:

> > Yes, most likely, but it is not official yet. And there are also some
> > uncertainties. i-mode would in this case rather mean GPRS + colour screen +
> > XHTML Basic (incl. CHTML and WML 1.3 (possibly full WAP 1.2), JPEG) + POP3
> > email + SMS + SSL.
>
>POP3 email, sure, but..  I was wondering if any wireless carrier is offering
>any decent e-mail service yet?

Not really. We hope to have some of our customers online with this in a
couple of months, as part of the euro-mode stuff. Our ambition is simply to
make the best back-end solutions for euro-mode (but also connected PDAs
etc.), where email management is one important back-end feature as well as
making store and forward mechanisms on top of POP3, which essentially is
store and retrieve.

> From technical perspective it's peanuts to
>deliver your e-mail to your wristwatch but to provide a manageable, useful
>e-mail service that integrates with your existing e-mail system, that's
>quite a different story.  And I'm not talking about the disposable consumer
>e-mail usage that's no different from SMS messages.

I agree completely. The problem is that advanced but simple-to-use
solutions are quite hard to sell. For may operators with not that much
experience of Internet, email is email. You can put a tick in the req spec
quite easily without solving any of your customer's problems.

For most operators, advanced email would mean links to Exchange and other
corporate stuff. Boring...

The success of Blackberry in the US is quite interesting. It is really an
email saga. See www.blackberry.net

/g

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.com | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747