(keitai-l) Re: Actual i-mode users in Nov.2000: 3,870,689 (rough estimate)

From: Thomas O'Dowd <tom_at_nooper.com>
Date: 03/28/01
Hi Victor,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 04:15:56PM +0200, Victor Pikula wrote:
> I do not have all the answers, but maybe Juergen and r e n's friend at
> DoCoMo do. They have made the tactical decision not to share it with this
> list. In the case of nooper.com, I fully understand. It buys them their
> sushi. In the case of DoCoMo, well, I do have a slight idea of what their
> priorities are in this matter :-)

Juergen, sushi tomorrow?

> Additional problems:
> 4) DoCoMo indicates that 90% of their users are pressing the i-mode button
> at least once a week. But how does that translate to people *knowing* what
> that button does? And couldn't they just be pressing it incidentally, not
> actually using any of the services? Also, is the email function accessed
> separately from the i-mode button?

Just to add that pressing the "i" button doesn't actually get you to the
i-mode menu on any phone that I've seen. It does get you to a internet
oriented menu, with such options as the "i-menu" among other things though, so
they have to select that too... The only 1 press mechanism I've seen is
on the late N series which have the home page functionality. Still not saying
that they know what any of this is though and don't access it accidently
now and again and go online.

> 5) It could very well be that the questions asked in the Hakuhodo research
> were confusing. I can imagine them standing on that Shibuya street corner
> (natsukashii na) and asking people:
>
> (a) Do you have an internet-enabled phone?
> (b) Do you use the internet fuctions on your phone?
>
> Question (a) is not that hard to answer. Just look at the type of the
> phone... and voila. But for the (b) question: If it were not formulated
> correctly, Hakuhodo would end up getting the wrong responses...
>
> Why?
>
> Because people (and certainly people over 40) may not *realize* they are
> using their phone to access the internet. "That button over there, labelled
> "i-mode", does that *really* bring me onto the internet?"
>
> Moreover, the whole point of DoCoMo (and J-Phone et al) marketing was to
> actually trick people into thinking it was just "another feature of the
> phone"... are you catching my drift? Respondants may not have made the link
> [i-mode=www-server=internet] like we so easily do.

Totally agree.

> Could people on this list and living in Japan give us a first-hand
> impression on how often hey see people walking the streets, using their
> i-mode phones? I stopped believing quotes from ZDNet reporters a long, long
> time ago, and they claimed everyone is doing it (but this would include
> email-usage I suppose)

I must be special but I see it all the time and not only i-mode phones.
I love watching them on the train too. tap, tap, tap and I'm nosey so
I peek at what they are doing and sometimes if I feel brave, I ask why.

I got a keitai because I was jealous of all the smokers out there. Its
that thing that you when you're waiting in hachiko, sitting in a pub
alone, that perfect distraction. Too bad it has other side effects, it
gives you cancer, and its addictive as hell. I use email all the time now,
I can type while walking down the street. I know what I need to know,
rain later, condition of our servers, or executing a few commands, what
time my next bus leaves, whatever... email is the biggest app though, and
why send email instead of just calling??? I know why, now all you have to
do is just ask the next Japanese person you see madly tap, tap, tapping
on the train next to you. I've done research enough to convince myself.

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd                   Noop-de-Noop!
tom_at_nooper.com                  http://www.nooper.com