(keitai-l) Re: Actual i-mode users in Nov.2000: 3,870,689 (roughestimate)

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 03/29/01
Hubert Hung-Hsien Chang wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Victor Pikula wrote:
>

> > Additional problems:
> > 4) DoCoMo indicates that 90% of their users are pressing the i-mode button
> > at least once a week. But how does that translate to people *knowing* what
> > that button does? And couldn't they just be pressing it incidentally, not
> > actually using any of the services? Also, is the email function accessed
> > separately from the i-mode button?

Pressing the i-mode button does NOT connect you to the Internet at all.
It just brings up the i-mode phone menu. You must then press #1 - i-Menu
to get the i-mode gateway menu, which counts as an Internet access.

> I would guess this is curcial. Intentional i-mode access vs
> unintentional i-mode access because of unfamiliar of the handset
> functionalities.

I would guess this is non-crucial.

 Also, I would like to know do they consider SMS(
> in their form, short mail) part of the i-mode access. ( since it is
> in the menu.)

I doubt it, as short mail is carried on the circuit network if I'm not
mistaken...then again hardly anybody sends shortmail from an i-mode
phone; it's all email. Even when you receive a shortmail it comes into
your email inbox.

> > "i-mode", does that *really* bring me onto the internet?"
> >
> > Moreover, the whole point of DoCoMo (and J-Phone et al) marketing was to
> > actually trick people into thinking it was just "another feature of the
> > phone"... are you catching my drift? Respondants may not have made the link
> > [i-mode=www-server=internet] like we so easily do.

I wouldn't use the word "trick", but the typical i-mode user doesn't
know what the Internet is and doesn't care. It's a phone feature.
Compare that to the US/Europes "Internet in your pocket" hype marketing
and the related failure of WAP services to explode on a scale like
i-mode has...

r e n

--
ascii:	r	e	n	f	i	e	l	d
octal:	\162	\145	\156	\146	\151	\145	\154	\144