(keitai-l) Re: Records

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 04/09/01

Kyle Barrow (www.X-9.com) writes:
> DoCoMo has been attracting record numbers almost every month since they
have
> been offering i-mode so I don't think DoCoMo is making a valid assertion
> that Java is the cause of recent growth.

Maybe, but with the prices on those JavaPhones, and with the
Japanese economy stuttering out the R-word every other
month, you have to wonder why people are buying new
phones at all, much less these heavily-caffeinated models.

Perhaps iApplicable keitais are cutting into handheld game-
machine market, a two-for-the-price-of-one-and-a-half
economizing move on the part of consumers?

Or maybe it's just an old story: a new platform class
proves itself even when laughably underpowered
(think PC/XT, even the z80-CP/M and 6502-based
micros, mukashi-mukashi), and for sometime thereafter,
horsepower sells.  The introduction of 80386-
based PCs looked like a huge, crazy bet once
upon a time, with industry analysts openly questioning
whether there was a mass market for so much
personal computing power.  Nowadays it's hard to
find software that runs on anything so wimpy.